Jefferson Davis Parish
Jeff Davis Parish Public Schools would like to remind parents how important it is for their child/children to attend school each and every day!!
- Elementary students shall be in attendance a minimum of 60,120 minutes (equivalent to 167 six-hour days) a school year. In order to be eligible to receive grades, high school students shall be in attendance a minimum of 30,060 minutes (equivalent to 83.5 six-hour school days), per semester or 60,120 minutes (equivalent to 167 six-hour school days) a school year for schools not operating on a semester basis.
- High school students who accrue more than 8 absences in a semester will not be eligible to earn Carnegie credit for the course or courses they are taking. Extenuating circumstances may apply. Note: A parent excuse counts towards these days in each semester.
- Elementary and middle school students who accrue more than 16 absences in a school year will not be eligible to earn Carnegie credit, and their promotion to the next grade is in jeopardy. Note: A parent excuse counts towards these days in each semester.
If a student exceeds the maximum allowable absences, the following Extenuating Circumstances may apply:
- Absences as verified by a licensed physician, dentists, or licensed nurse practitioner.
- Observance of special and recognized holidays of the student's own faith (note from clergy).
- Death in the immediate family (not to exceed one week).
- Natural catastrophe and/or disaster.
- Absence (not to exceed 5 days per school year) to visit with his/her parent/legal guardian who is a member of the United States Armed Forces or the National Guard of a state and has been called to duty for or is on leave overseas deployment to a combat zone or combat supporting posting. Documentation of such deployment or leave is required.
For more information, please contact school administration or Child Welfare office (337-824-2003).